Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/forums.zonbu.com/common.php on line 106 Zonbu Forums • View topic - Using NFS to connect to FreeNAS
Left ZonbuGet Zonbu NowLeft
Welcome! Sign In to My Zonbu
Right
Home Separator WhatIsZonbu Separator WhyZonbu Separator Pricing Separator GetItNow Separator Support Separator Extension
Home2 Separator WhatIsZonbu2 Separator WhyZonbu2 Separator Pricing2 Separator GetItNow2 Separator Support2 Separator Extension2

Using NFS to connect to FreeNAS

Discuss anything regarding the Internet applications: Web Browser, Email, Messenger and Skype

Using NFS to connect to FreeNAS

Postby mcvd on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:39 am

Hi,

is it possible to connect to my FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org) server using NFS? So far, I used only CIFS but I'm wondering if NFS would be better (faster?).
mcvd

Re: Using NFS to connect to FreeNAS

Postby Shagbag on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:02 am

mcvd wrote:Hi,

is it possible to connect to my FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org) server using NFS? So far, I used only CIFS but I'm wondering if NFS would be better (faster?).
FreeNAS supports NFS. As long as the NFS daemon is running you should be able to mount it. You'll probably need root privileges, however, in order to invoke the mount command.
Shagbag

Postby JeanScotch on Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:26 pm

I'm looking after some nfs stuff on my new zonbu to read files froms my home computers (all linux based) but do not find any...

nor binaries nor modules

I have spent quite a time reading the docs on zonbo web site but I just found reference of how to connect to some samba share. I do not want samba, I want nfs as I have a *nix only shop at home...

does someone have any clues or pointer to show me? thanks

PS: I'm running in the developper mode so I have root access to the box
JeanScotch

Postby maniac on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:16 pm

JeanScotch wrote:I'm looking after some nfs stuff on my new zonbu to read files froms my home computers (all linux based) but do not find any...

nor binaries nor modules

I have spent quite a time reading the docs on zonbo web site but I just found reference of how to connect to some samba share. I do not want samba, I want nfs as I have a *nix only shop at home...

does someone have any clues or pointer to show me? thanks

PS: I'm running in the developper mode so I have root access to the box

Hmm. This will require steps not for the faint of heart. The overview at
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Share_Directories_via_NFS
outlines the basic steps.

The Zonbu kernel does not include NFS support - I checked that. Building a new kernel & installing it would be the first step.

You would need the nfs utiltities - the emerge command in the reference above should be sufficient. Not mentioned but you would also want to start the appropriate services.

I assume you can figure out the appropriate mount commands or changes to configuration files to get the NFS server mounted at boot time.
--Mark
maniac

Postby JeanScotch on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:39 am

maniac wrote:
JeanScotch wrote:I have spent quite a time reading the docs on zonbo web site but I just found reference of how to connect to some samba share. I do not want samba, I want nfs as I have a *nix only shop at home...

The Zonbu kernel does not include NFS support - I checked that. Building a new kernel & installing it would be the first step.

That's unfortunate as it will get me out of the update process :(

on the other hand it's the opportunity to also include pulseaudio and libdvdcss ;)

Thanks for the reply.
JeanScotch

Return to Internet